Tuesday 24 April 2012

Motivation: 100 Marathons in 100 Days

Whilst I am beginning to get anxious about the challenge and trying to prepare for the longest day of my life, I often find motivation or inspiration from outside sources. Whether it is a new Make-A-Wish Video or reading about someone battling a life-threatening condition, I appreciate that what I am doing is simply pushing myself over the course of one day, and that the effort and organisation required will be more than balanced by the reward of raising money for Make-A-Wish.

The most recent story of motivation came through a friend-of-a-friend, Matthew Loddy. Describing himself as "not a long-distance runner" and having never run a marathon in his life, Matthew took on the challenge of a lifetime to honour the loss of a close friend that passed following a rare stomach cancer.

Last weekend, Matthew competed in the London marathon, clocking a time of 3 hours 9 minutes. Quite an achievement right? Perhaps even more so when you learn that the London marathon was his 100th marathon... in 100 days.


“Pain, I can cope with. I’ve got injuries that will probably stay with me for months, years and possibly longer. But whatever happens, happens. I don’t worry about what’s going to happen to my body after this.”

Wow. What an effort.

64 days...

No comments:

Post a Comment